Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- ABUL RIZVI: Questions Ahead of Home Affairs Meeting That Never Happened
- JOHN MENADUE The myth that the Liberals are better economic managers?
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- ABUL RIZVI. Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton have lost control of our borders.
- ABUL RIZVI. New regional visas – a recipe for exploitation and destitution.
- MELISSA SWEET. What might Greta Thunberg tell the Australian Parliament? (Croakey) 26 April 2019
- GRAEME STEWART. Major holes in Medicare. 26 April 2019
- JOCELYN PIXLEY. The Coalition’s Terms on Hayne’s Commission 26 April 2019
- JERRY ROBERTS. The dumbing-down of politics, religion and trade unions 26 April 2019
- JOHN MENADUE. Jobs at Adani or on the Great Barrier Reef. 26 April 2019
- Arts and Reviews (47)
- Defence/Security (905)
- Drug Reform (30)
- Economy (1,247)
- Education (255)
- Environment and climate (485)
- Health (608)
- Housing (85)
- Human Rights (443)
- Indigenous affairs (79)
- Industrial relations (36)
- Infrastructure (202)
- International Affairs (1,964)
- Asia (361)
- Links (10)
- Media (593)
- NBN (81)
- Politics (3,100)
- Refugees, Immigration (655)
- Religion and Faith (616)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (56)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (6)
- Tributes (49)
- Uncategorized (225)
Tag Archives: refugee policy
I decided to become a photojournalist to help refugees tell their stories, and to show their plight. I was stunned by the lack of compassion and the outright racism I saw in my countrymen. I was angry as only a … Continue reading
The inspiring poem by Emma Lazarus carved on the Statue of Liberty clearly reflects the ethos and caring spirit of a bygone era: “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse … Continue reading
JOHN MENADUE. On Nauru and Manus, we need leaders who will appeal to the better angels of our nature.
I was interviewed on 17 August by Andrew West, the presenter of the Religion & Ethics Report, Radio National, ABC. One thing I emphasised was the importance of leadership. If only Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten would shake hands on … Continue reading
The election seemed more about avoiding some key issues than a contest of values and ideas. Because so many key issues such as refugees were avoided, it is not surprising that so many voters, about one third, turned their … Continue reading
The following is an extract from a speech by Frank Brennan at the Yass Catholic Parish Pot Luck Dinner on Saturday 28 May 2016. The full text of the speech is in the link below. John Menadue
A repost from 26/05/15 Part 2: Refugee Policy 2.1 Overview The current and future global environment for irregular migration is extremely challenging. Many more people are on the move globally to gain protection from persecution, security from conflict or greater … Continue reading