Subscribe to our weekly and daily Pearls and Irritations newsletter!
Most viewed recently
- JOHN MENADUE. Ignore the planet and our grand children at our peril.
- EMMA ALBERICI. There’s no case for a corporate tax cut when one in five of Australia’s top companies don’t pay it.
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Morrison actually does something.
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. Turnbull’s cronies.
- JOHN MENADUE. Wentworth wipe-out! 22 October 2018
- MUNGO MACCALLUM. A fairy story. 22 October 2018
- ROGER SCOTT. Wentworth byelection – tale of two (other) cities. 22 October 2018
- KIM WINGEREI. An Australian Spring 22 October 2018
- JACK WATERFORD. Morrison lacks whatever it takes. 22 October 2018
- Arts and Reviews (40)
- Defence/Security (822)
- Drug Reform (22)
- Economy (1,130)
- Education (222)
- Environment and climate (389)
- Health (542)
- Housing (75)
- Human Rights (423)
- Indigenous affairs (70)
- Industrial relations (34)
- Infrastructure (174)
- International Affairs (1,684)
- Asia (259)
- Links (10)
- Media (548)
- NBN (74)
- Politics (2,677)
- Refugees, Immigration (577)
- Religion and Faith (540)
- SERIES: Freedom, opportunity and security (60)
- SERIES: Making housing affordable (15)
- Sport (55)
- Technology, start-ups and new media (1)
- Tributes (37)
- Uncategorized (201)
- MICHAEL KEATING. The Future Demands for Government Revenue on
- ALISON BROINOWSKI. Whose rules? What order? on
- CHRIS GERAGHTY. Faith-based Beliefs or Long-held Prejudices. on
Tag Archives: refugee policy
I decided to become a photojournalist to help refugees tell their stories, and to show their plight. I was stunned by the lack of compassion and the outright racism I saw in my countrymen. I was angry as only a … Continue reading
The inspiring poem by Emma Lazarus carved on the Statue of Liberty clearly reflects the ethos and caring spirit of a bygone era: “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse … Continue reading
JOHN MENADUE. On Nauru and Manus, we need leaders who will appeal to the better angels of our nature.
I was interviewed on 17 August by Andrew West, the presenter of the Religion & Ethics Report, Radio National, ABC. One thing I emphasised was the importance of leadership. If only Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten would shake hands on … Continue reading
The election seemed more about avoiding some key issues than a contest of values and ideas. Because so many key issues such as refugees were avoided, it is not surprising that so many voters, about one third, turned their … Continue reading
The following is an extract from a speech by Frank Brennan at the Yass Catholic Parish Pot Luck Dinner on Saturday 28 May 2016. The full text of the speech is in the link below. John Menadue
A repost from 26/05/15 Part 2: Refugee Policy 2.1 Overview The current and future global environment for irregular migration is extremely challenging. Many more people are on the move globally to gain protection from persecution, security from conflict or greater … Continue reading